Tuesday, April 8, 2008

TUESDAY-8 MARCH 2008-PAK LAH: I WILL NOT STAY LONGER THAN I SHOULD

Pak Lah: I will not stay longer than I should

KOTA KINABALU:

Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said yesterday he would not stay longer than he should as: Prime Minister. “I would retire one day but I could not leave in this kind of political scenario. I will retire one day, of course. I’m not going to stay longer: than I should. “I have named (Deputy Prime Minister” Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak as my successor. “How can I leave the Government and the Party in this condition? There is still a lot that need to be done and I still have responsibilities,” he told reporters after meeting Umno and Barisan Nasional leaders here yesterday. Abdullah said there maybe times when people were not satisfied with his performance but he was doing his level: best to ensure everything was carried out well to ensure the goals were met. “I am a responsible leader. I want to make sure that the economics stable and only then we can lure more investor to come in. I have also increased the values from the previous Government and implemented a lot of programmes to benefit the people,” he stressed yesterday. On naming Najib as his successor, Abdullah said in jest: “Of course. Are you in doubt that you have to ask me again?” “Datuk Seri Najib understands me more than you can understand me. I am not going to stay on for years. Certainly not,” he added. The Prime Minister said on Sunday Najib was his successor and that they had no problems between them.