BORNEO TODAY INDEX

Friday, March 14, 2008

FRIDAY-14 MARCH 2008- FIERCE STRAY DOGS A DANGER TO PEDESTRIANS

Fierce stray dogs a danger to pedestrians

Resident of Lorong Sang Kancil 1, Kota Kinabalu has voiced safety concern over the presence of fierce stray dogs at the area. Man told Public Hotline that the stray dogs pose a threat to the large number of pedestrians there. “Even though we have lodged numerous complaints to the authorities, the situation persists. I am afraid someday the stray dog will attack pedestrians who use the road daily,” he said. “I myself also fear the dogs. Every time I pass by them on my motorcycle, one of the dogs would chase after me. This could cause a motorcyclist to panic and fall off the machine,” he said. Man said the stray dog could also be seen roaming the neighbourhood, especially at night, and making noises that disturb the residents in their sleep. “These dogs also urinate and defecate everywhere, including in our house compound and also at the children playground. I hope the authorities will do something about the problem before something bad happens,” he said. A spokesman for City Hall’s Public Complaints Unit, when contacted over the complaint, said the matter would be looked into seriously as the dogs pose a threat to public safety. “We will forward the matter to the unit concerned for action to be taken immediately,” she said.